In this unique twist, the traditional Arabic Basbousa (or semolina cake) is infused with aromatic Emperor Akbar Cardamoms to bring you the decadence that is Cardamom Coconut Basbousa.
Cardamom and Coconut Basbousa
- 1 ¼ Cups Semolina
- ¼ Cup All-purpose Flour
- ½ Cups Ground Almonds
- 1/3 Cups Coconut Milk Powder
- 2 Tbsp Desiccated Coconut
- ½ Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 100 g Melted Butter
- 100 g Yogurt
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- ½ Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Sugar
- ¾ Cups Water
- 2 Tsp Rose Water
- 3-4 Pods of Emperor Akbar Cardamoms
- In a bowl, mix together the semolina, all-purpose flour, ground almonds, coconut milk powder, desiccated coconut, and cardamom powder.
- Pour in melted butter and yogurt and mix this well to form a thick mixture.
- Let it rest for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, mix baking powder into the milk and pour into the semolina mixture. Mix well and pour in a greased baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated 190-degree oven for 35-40 minutes until nicely baked and we have a golden brown crust.
- In the meanwhile, for the sugar syrup, simmer sugar, water, rose water and cardamom for 3-4 minutes. Let it cool completely.
- Pour the cool syrup on hot basbousa and cut into the desired shape (squares or diamonds).
- Let it cool down and enjoy.