A creamy, smooth and mouth watering flavoured yogurt, Shrikhand is a classic Indian dessert that has found its place in millions of hearts worldwide. Shrikhand is essentially sweetened yogurt flavoured with the exotic taste and aroma of green cardamom. It is further enriched with a generous addition of dry fruits that make it all the more tempting and delicious. This is an excellent and easy to make sweet dish that is savored by both young and old alike. The most common and convenient method of making this classic sweet treat is given below.
Shrikhand – Elaichi Flavoured Yoghurt
- 4 Cups - Plain yogurt (thick)
- 1 Tsp - Green cardamom powder
- 1 Tsp - Green cardamom (crushed)
- 3/4 cup - Refined sugar
- 1/4 cup - Assorted dry fruits (almonds, cashew nuts and black resins)
- Large muslin cloth or cheesecloth
- A few saffron strands for garnishing (optional)
- Take the large dry muslin cloth or cheesecloth and pour the yogurt onto its centre. Now take the corners of the cloth and tie a tight knot to prevent the yogurt from spilling out. Tie and hang this cloth carrying the yogurt from the kitchen sink to drain away all the water from the yogurt. Allow the water to drain for around 3 hours and then transfer the curd remaining in the muslin cloth to a bowl.
- Now add the green cardamom powder and crushed cardamom to the curd and stir well. Beat the curd gently but constantly with a spoon for nearly 3 minutes. Beat till the grainy texture of the curd changes to a smooth, silky and creamy texture.
- Add sugar to the mixture and blend for another 5 minutes till the sugar dissolves completely in the curd. Taste the curd and add extra sugar if required. Add the dry fruits and mix well. Garnish with a few strands of saffron. Refrigerate the Shrikhand and serve chilled.