The traditional Arabic Basbousa (or semolina cake) infused with aromatic Emperor Akbar Cardamom that will leave your mouth watering for more. Indulge your sweet tooth in this Arabic delight!
- 1 ¼ cup - Semolina
- ¼ cup - All-purpose flour
- ½ cup - Ground almonds
- 1/3 cup - Coconut milk powder
- 2 tbsp - Desiccated coconut
- ½ tsp - Cardamom powder
- 100 g - Melted butter
- 100 g - Yoghurt
- 1/3 cup - Milk
- ½ tsp - Baking powder
- 1 cup - Sugar
- ¾ cup - Water
- 2 tsp - Rose water
- 3-4 Pods - Emperor Akbar Cardamom
How to make Cardamom and Coconut Basbousa:
- In a bowl, mix together the semolina, all-purpose flour, ground almonds, coconut milk powder, desiccated coconut, and cardamom powder.
- Pour in melted butter and yogurt and mix this well to form a thick mixture.
- Let it rest for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, mix baking powder into the milk and pour into the semolina mixture. Mix well and pour in a greased baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated 190-degree oven for 35-40 minutes until nicely baked and the crust turns golden brown.
- For the sugar syrup, simmer sugar, water, rose water and cardamom for 3-4 minutes. Let it cool completely.
- Pour the cool syrup on hot Basbousa and cut into the desired shape (squares or diamonds).
- Let it cool down and enjoy.