Shrikhand - a sweetened yoghurt infused with the exotic flavours and aroma of cardamom, further enriched with dry fruits that make it rich and wholesome. A creamy and mouth-watering cardamommmmm... flavoured yoghurt.
- 4 cups - Plain yogurt (thick)
- 1 tsp - Green cardamom powder
- 1 tsp - Green cardamom (crushed)
- 3/4 cup - Refined sugar
- 1/4 cup - Assorted dry fruits (almonds, cashew nuts and black resins)
- Large muslin cloth or cheesecloth
- A few saffron strands for garnishing (optional)
How to make Shrikhand / Cardamom Flavoured Yoghurt:
- Take a large dry muslin cloth or cheesecloth and pour the yoghurt onto its center. Now take the corners of the cloth and tie a tight knot to prevent the yoghurt from spilling. Tie and hang this cloth carrying the yoghurt to drain away all the water from the yoghurt. Allow the water to drain for around 3 hours and then transfer the remaining curd into a bowl.
- Now add the green cardamom powder and crushed cardamom to the curd and stir well. Beat the curd gently but constantly with a spoon for nearly 3 minutes. Beat till the grainy texture of the curd changes to a smooth, silky and creamy texture.
- Add sugar to the mixture and blend for another 5 minutes till the sugar dissolves completely in the curd. Taste the curd and add extra sugar if required. Add the dry fruits and mix well.
- Garnish with a few strands of saffron. Refrigerate the Shrikhand / Cardamom Flavoured Yoghurt and serve chilled.